Well, the new "lookbooks" for fall apparel is here - Kmart's apparel division is showing some relative strength ( http://www.kmartdesign.com/category/apparel_design/ ) with renewed vigor in brands like Jacyln Smith. Meanwhile, Sears apparel and "softlines" side still has very weak sales, despite stronger sales in the appliance/hardline side - it seems like people will just buy a fridge or stove without buying the other stuff at Sears, and who can blame them when some of the stores are in need of some renovation... though the small number of Lands End kiosks inside Sears are doing OK, from hearsay. However, instead of renovating stores, SHLD is looking to make some short-term cash by renting out spaces in stores (example: Edwin Watts golf shops "store-inside-a-store")... we'll see how that pans out. Maybe Sears can turn into an appliance & tools only store and all the apparel space becomes rented out... but then again, how many other companies are looking at mall based locations now??
So most Kmart stores are 1 story (and aging...) - but there are some, like 2 in New York City, one in Philadelphia, one in Southbury CT, and one in Los Angeles, that are 2+ floors.
The average sales per square foot in 2009 at Sears stores was $111 and at Kmart stores $107, compared with $280 at Target and $416 at Wal-Mart, according to retail research firm Kantar Retail. So that got us thinking, where are the smallest Kmart stores?
We compiled a list of what we think are the smallest Kmart stores by area! This is probably quite accurate - if anyone who works at Sears Holdings has the list, feel free to comment. Here are the smallest 25 Kmart stores by square foot. The "average" Big Kmart store size is 90,000 ish square feet, with a range of probably 80,000 - 125,000. (Walmart Supercenters range almost 200,000 square feet.) Some former Super Kmarts now without groceries stand at around 180,000+ square feet. Probably one of the biggest that was not formerly a Super K is the 143,471 sqft Manhattan NY store - the only 3 story Kmart, we think! (And it has nearly 2.5 million people living in a 5 mile radius!) These smallest ones are all under 60,000 square feet (even some big supermarkets are larger than them!) and most are in rural areas where Wal-Mart is not in town.
Unofficial Rank - Store Number - City - Square Feet - Population (5 mile radius) - Address
1. 9243 Red Oak, Iowa - 39798 - 6,157 2501 N Broadway, Red Oak IA 51566
The store seems to be in a somewhat random location, and lacks much signage/visibility from the highways. It survives probably because the nearest Walmart is in the next town over. The only Kmart under 40,000 square feet.
2. 9233 Oelwein, IA - 40007 - 8,328 2105 S Frederick Ave, Oelwein IA 50662
3. 9030 Peru IN - 40165 - 20,022 11 Sherwood Square, Peru IN 46970
4. 9222 Cherokee IA - 40312 - 5,487 1111 N 2nd St, Cherokee IA 51012
5. 9261 - Glenwood Springs, CO - 40318 - 8,571 51027 US 6, Glenwood Springs CO 81601 (photo taken 2004 from Flickr user phuzz_ott) (SHC) Wow, the signage hasn't been updated in what, 30 years?
9. 9274 - Greenwich NY - 40537 - 8,423 1251 State Rte 29, Glens Falls NY 12834
10. 9306 - Glendive MT - 40800 - 6,806 1515 W Bell St, Glendive MT 59330 This store was built in 1980 and reports sales of around $200/sq ft in 2006. (That's around double the national Kmart average, but then again, this store is half the size. An estimated $10 million annually in sales)
10. 9309 - Webster City IA - 40800 - 8,192 2307 Superior St, Webster City IA 50595
10. 9319 - Alliance NE - 40800 - 7,464 1515 W 3rd St, Alliance NE 69301 (SHC)
note: some "bird's eye" photo overviews taken from Bing maps, as indicated; a few other photos are from other online sources such as Flickr.
All other photos are taken exclusively for this blog and may not be used for commercial purposes or reproduced without attribution including a link back to this site. Not affiliated in any way with Kmart Corporation, Sears Holdings, Wal-Mart, Supervalu, or any other companies. Copyright 2010.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING!